Follow these 8 ergonomic tips to ensure good posture for your work-from-home setup:
- The ideal setup has your monitor or computer directly in front of you at arm’s length, but the most important part is that your head should be about 3 inches below the top of the monitor (you may have to put books or a box under your monitor to get it right).
- Your feet should be flat on the floor. Don’t slouch back in a chair with your feet propped up on another chair or curl up on the couch, no matter how tempting it may be. If you do want to work from the couch, limit yourself to 15-20 minutes max, then go back to your usual setup.
- If you are working on a laptop, you should consider an external mouse and keyboard.
- Even if you have a work laptop, try and make use of a larger monitor. Perhaps your home computer or hooking it up to a TV in the house, for instance.
- Consider using posture straps to keep your shoulders from naturally slouching forward. You only wear these a few times a day for 15-minutes at a time. Our Littleton chiropractic office offers these for curbside pickup – call to order and remind our staff that for the month of April, you get 10% off all orders.
- Elbows should be the same height as your desk.
- Take stretch breaks every hour. Set an alert on your phone or computer. If there are others working or studying in your house, make this a time you can all stretch together. Consider going for short walks or take the dog out for a walk – the fresh air and sun will do wonders for your creativity too. Drink lots of water too, as always.
- If your workday consists of multiple or long phone calls, consider using speakerphone or investing in headphones. Keeping a phone cradled between your head and neck will surely cause pain.
Office ergonomics are a huge part of your workday, so take the time to get it set up for comfort. As for the rest of your work from home life, we can’t help you with those roommates, kids, chores or other things preventing you from getting work done. We’re just here to make sure you don’t get stiff or sore from your at-home work setup.
Be sure to read our 7 Tips to Boost Your Immune System during COVID-19 and follow our Instagram page for updates on our practice, stretching and foam rolling tips, and more.
If you are experiencing severe back or neck pain or need to reach us for anything, please call us at 303.904.0331 We are excited to be back helping our patients in the office soon, but until then, we are checking voicemails and emails regularly. Until then, stay strong and sit up straight!
Schedule your free consultation to learn what our Littleton chiropractic office can do to help you get back to pain-free days. We focus on Littleton chiropractic care, regenerative therapy, rehabilitation, weight loss management, migraine treatment, massage therapy, spinal decompression and more to help each of our patients live a healthy and pain-free life.